From:
Marcia B McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:17:42 -0600
It helps me to remember that the presence of toxins in breastmilk does
NOT prove whether or how much of these toxins is being taken up into the
baby's system.  That's why I personally find the studies which look for
effects in the infants more interesting/important than those that just
identify contents of milk.  It's scary to have researchers find these
substances in our milk but it helps to remember:  all the studies which
show how much better babies do on mothers' milk are conducted on the same
polluted planet as these toxin studies - that is, these babies that have
less leukemia, etc. have less leukemia drinking the same milk in which
these toxins are found.  The important thing is the outcome for our
children, not the # of micrograms of whatever is in our milk.  Of course,
it's horrible that we live in a polluted world, and if I lived 5 miles
from Chernobyl I might have a different perspective, but so far the
biggest risk of these toxin studies, that we know of, is that they
frighten women and undermine BF.
I would love to hear from someone with more knowledge on this topic.
BTW, I agree with the canny posters who suggested that this issue is
often just an'objective' reason given by people whose REAL objections to
BF are who-knows-what.

Marcia McCoy in sunny and unseasonably warm
Minnesota (no initials but I'm dying to earn some to flaunt)