Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
"Lissa writes:
"The New Mexico Breastfeeding Task Force is looking for resources and
example policies from correctional facilities that support breastfeeding
mothers who are separated from their infants."

This is definitely an area than seems to be brushed aside too frequently.  I wonder if the emphasis is too much on mom and not on baby.  Wouldn't it be better to put it as "support infants who are separated from their mother"?  By putting the emphasis on the mother, it leaves it open for opponents to say that she doesn't deserve "special treatment" as she is there to be punished for whatever she did.  The baby, however is not guilty of any crime and should not be punished for the "sins of the mother".  It's not the baby's fault that mom is incarcerated and should not be sentenced to inferior nutrition because of it.  Of course, we know all the other importances such as keeping the bond so that reintroduction to the family and society is facilitated, but I wonder how much weight that argument would be given by the decision makers.

In my opinion, whether it be incarcerated mothers, nursing in public or break times at work, we need to give more emphasis on the baby's needs when trying to influence the public.  After all, it's harder to be critical of a cute little baby!
Winnie Mading"

~~~~~~~~~~

Newborn infants are sometimes with their mothers in prison; they are not necessarily separated from them.  In New York, for example, babies can live with their incarcerated mothers if the prison authorities believe she is a fit mother.  

Check out The Prison Birth Project for more on the subject:  http://www.theprisonbirthproject.org/

Julie Tardos

~~~
Moya: I'm not answering any of your questions!
Ilan: Why?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2