From:
Marianne Vanderveen-Kolkena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:52:54 +0200
Hello Sandra,

A name for a distributor where you are... I don't have. I have a thought,
though.
I preferably don't use these peridontal syringes with the curved tip,
because the tip is not flexible.
There is a bigger risk of hurting the baby than with a flexible silicone
finger feeder.
Those are more expensive, but an alternative to that could be a feeding
tube.
No way you'll get more flexibility than that and you can attach them to any
(size/form) syringe you like.
If you use a syringe and attach a tube, then a mom can do the fingerfeeding
with the baby in the madonna position.
Suppose the baby is in the left arm on the left breast, she can hold and use
the syringe with her left hand while fingerfeeding with her right hand next
to her bare breast, leading the tube into baby's mouth.
This way, the baby is very close to her and might even be easily transferred
to the breast.
There is more of a learning process (closer to the breastfeeding position)
and more bodily contact (belly to belly, triggering feeding reflexes) than
when baby is away from the person who is fingerfeeding.
Using a 60 ml syringe in a somewhat later stage also prevents the hassle of
refilling the syringe while feeding may go well. Thereby, you bring more
peace to the feeding process.
It's also empowering for mom if she can do it herself/alone without an extra
pair of hands being needed.

Well, just a thought. Good luck with your search!

Bye,

Marianne Vanderveen IBCLC, Netherlands