From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 19:09:58 EST
<<
 In my experience the breastfeeding advice given is directly related to the
 physicans experience with breastfeeding on a more personal level such as
 the physcian's experience or if male his wife's experience.  JMNSHO >>

dear alicia,

a study showed that "doctors" tended to be positive or negative about
breastfeeding for just that exact reason. this is pathetic. would we accept
that our doctor dealt with urinary tract infections based on personal
experience? "male - never had one, it must be psychosomatic. female - i have
them all the time, they are nightmares, and you should take three types of
antibiotics and it will take weeks to get rid of." or how about smoking? "i
had an uncle that smoked three packs a day and lived to be ninety, so if you
have trouble quitting, maybe you will be okay anyway." etc. etc.

how many areas of medical knowledge should be based on personal experience?

carol  brussel IBCLC
subzero denver