From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:58:17 -0500
> If children are breastfed, is it still necessary to have fat in the diet
for brain growth? I would appreciate any input on the need for fat in the
diet for those under two years.

        Children need a variety of nutrients for proper brain growth,
including DHA and other identified and yet-to-be-identified constituents of
breast milk.  Human brains continue to grow until the child is 6-7 years
old.  Obviously, most of the brain growth occurs in the first three years of
life.  If the child is not being breastfed, then they need to have the next
best thing, which is probably formula (not whole cows' milk).  That is why I
see the development of toddler formulas as a good thing.  After the age of
6-7, human children do not need the milk of any species, including cows.  In
cultures where other sources of protein, calories, and fat-soluble vitamins
are difficult to obtain, cows' milk is an excellent source of good nutriton.
In a culture such as the U.S., where we have overly adequate supplies of
protein, calories, and vitamins in our diet, cows' milk can be considered an
optional part of the diet.
        If my child were weaned before the age of five years, I would give
him formula or cows' milk to drink, in addition to water and the occasional
glass of juice and even rarer soda.  I would also make sure he was exposed
to other sources of calcium, such as spinach, early in life, so that he
developed a taste for it.
        By the way, I *love* a big cold glass of milk, and am addicted to
ice cream.  But then, I'm not lactose intolerant or allergic to cows' milk
protein, nor prone to respiratory infections.  Hope it doesn't affect my heart!

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University