From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:37:39 +1000
Kathy wrote: After reading Jan Barger's post about her resignation, I
wonder who will be next!  There seem to have been quite a few resignations
in the last year or so.  Why? This didn't happen before...

In any organisation, there are always periods of change where longstanding
people feel the need to move on or others feel the need to take a group in
new directions which some of the pioneers are not comfortable with. I
remember some very strong discussion/dissension/disagreement in my time on
the ILCA BoD 1989-1991, and know that it will happen again. There have been
resignations and unhappinesses in ILCA's past, and there will be again.
That's the nature of organisations.

 For whatever reasons, and however happily or unhappily- something I now
have no inside knowledge of- some golden oldies like Jan B. are now moving
on from ILCA roles they have occupied. What I think is important is that
those who are moving on do so in a dignified and constructive manner, and
allow the incumbent democratically-elected governing body to make decisions
they have been elected to make. If these decisions are controversial, the
place for the controversy is within the organisation, contested through a
democratic process that makes the critics accountable as well as those they
criticise. Open criticism can be justified only when, over a protracted
period of time, an organisation refuses any accountability to its
constituents (refusing to answer questions, defaming those with dissident
views, preventing participation by those with different ideas from the
powerful, not publishing its accounts and explaining them). It is really
destructive to air disagreements to outsiders,and perhaps even to canvass
support for a future rival organisation. Jan has not done this; her post
was very positive, even if reading between the lines people may have
wondered...But I think the risk of real division and a rival US
organisation is there if too much more of this sort of talk happens around
America. And fragmentation of our organisations merely advantages the real
enemies of breastfeeding.

I write this because I was dismayed by Kathy's post. I consider it
inappropriate to discuss ILCA's affairs in this manner to an audience that
includes many non-ILCA members. Kathy too has contributed mcuch to ILCA's
growth. But I remember that Kathy has been unhappy long before this with
certain ILCA BoD decisions, yet ILCA survived and prospered. I want to say
now that I consider a strong and united ILCA a crucial factor on the world
breastfeeding scene. I consider the ILCA BoD deserves every member's
support in what they attempt, and our critical interest as they attempt it.
They are accountable to members, and will have to  admit mistakes if any
are proven, but ILCA members need to give them the benefit of the doubt
until that time comes.

To become the strong international body it should be, with two strong North
American national affiliates (USA and Canada) akin to the other national
affiliates (Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the rest) around the world,
ILCA has to change. Overseas members of ILCA have been among those
criticising many aspects of past ILCA performance and structure. I believe
this current BoD has grasped the big picture and is attempting to implement
a move towards a more international organisation. What is needed is a
strong US national affiliate which runs its own American show: perhaps some
of thoe resigning will find some time to put into that project. I too am
grateful for what has been done in the past by Jan and Carol and many many
many others, but if there had been no problems with it there would be no
pressure to change. And change allows new faces to emerge. And if anyone
disagrees with anything in ILCA, let them stand for office, get elected,
and make the changes they consider best... There are no restrictions on
people doing it all over again if they're unhappy with what's going on now.
Let's keep organisational politics off Lactnet, please, and in ICLA where
they belong. Or else restrict membership of Lactnet to ILCA members only,
which would be a loss! What do others think? Maureen Minchin.