From:
Liz Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:21:56 -0500
Hello all. I am back on this list, and more than willing to answer any legal
questions.
Although as many of you know my passion is the family law cases
(breastfeeding and divorce or separation, where custody and visitation
decisions can jeopardize the breastfeeding relationship), I noticed that two
other issues were raised in the first digest I received - breasfeeding in
public, and breastfeeding legislation.

BREASTFEEDING LEGISLATION:
I am not aware that Washington's died in committee yet. They were trying to
do something new - give a mother a right to breastfeed at work! No, not pump
at work, but be allowed to bring her baby and breastfeed at work. I have
heard that Oregon's bill did die in committee, and a timely death. The bill
would allow mothers to breastfeed in public ONLY IF the mother did so only
in a very private area, and breastfed in a reasonably discreet manner. This
would be a real set back for breastfeeding mothers, as it is already legal
to breastfeed in public. Fear not, however, several other legislators in
Oregon are about to submit other legislation that really would protect the
right.  New Jersey has passed a bill that is almost as strong as New York's,
providing penalties if a mother is told to stop breastfeeding. They are
waiting for the Govenor to sign it into law  - the deadline is March 15. If
she does not sign it, it becomes a law. The only way it won't become law is
if she vetos it.  California has submitted legislation again, and they
expect it to pass this time.

BREASTFEEDING IN PUBLIC