Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 16:18:43 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (136 lines)
I have seen this at least once maybe twice before. Pure red blood bilaterally. One time the mothers O.B. called the breast surgeon and he told her "it was normal". 
According to Jack Newmans book, it is normal in the first seven days and breastfeeding should continue. I advise my patients to continue to feed and let me know if infnat refuses the breast or if it persists for more than a week. 
Stephanie Sperling IBCLC
Brandon FL

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of LACTNET automatic digest system
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 13 May 2009 (#2009-518)

There are 3 messages totalling 136 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

1. Blood instead of milk on first day pp
  2. Hospital LC words of wisdom...
  3. mammogram & lactation

Lactnet Archives are at:
LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Thanks- Kathleen Bruce, Kathy Koch, Rachel Myr, Karleen Gribble, Linda Pohl, LACTNET Facilitators

Questions to [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 13 May 2009 23:28:08 +0200
Subject: Blood instead of milk on first day pp

Hi everyone,

A friend neonathologist just contacted me for a question I cannot answer, s= o I post here with their permission. The neonathologist was called in on a second day postpartum mom and her healthy baby who was refusing the breast.
Would not latch, either aided nor self-latch (this doc knows about breastfeeding). The nurse reported that on day one postpartum mom had blood coming out from both breasts (with NO nipple wounds or pain the few times that the baby latched that first day). The doctor tells me that on day two, when she went to see the mom, there was a liquid which looked like diluted blood coming from both nipples when expressed. It did not have the rusty pipe color, she said it was clearly like blood mixed with water (bloody colostrum?). OBs did an ultrasound of both breasts and it was normal. Blood= y colostrum has been sent to the lab, On the evening of the second day baby still refused the breast and so it was decided to feed him with formula.
This is when the neonathologist called to ask me.

I told her I had never seen blood come out from BOTH undamaged breasts. I have seen blood from a ductal papiloma once, and have also read about it, but it was only on one breast. A reason for bilateral bleeding would be a quick growth of the breast which could rupture small vessels, but this woul= d happen either during rapid breast growth in pregnancy or after postpartum engorgement. This mom did not have engorgement, and if she had bled during the rapid growth of pregnancy what we would see is the rusty remains, not red blood.

The doc and the mom decided to pump for a few days and if the blood clears return the baby to the breast. I think this is a good plan.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea?

Thanks!

Warmly from Madrid,
Kika

--=20
Dra. Carmela Baeza
M=E9dico de Familia
Consultora Certificada en Lactancia Materna IBCLC www.centroraices.com Comprometida con el Derecho a Vivir http://derechoavivir.org

COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 13 May 2009 18:07:42 -0400
Subject: Re: Hospital LC words of wisdom...

It has been awhile since I have written, but I have been lurking out there.? I just became a hospital LC, and?although it is quite different from private practice, I am truly enjoying the challenge.? I have been at my hospital for a month, and?I am hoping to do wonderful things.? I would love some words of wisdom from established hospital?LCs--anything that you can think of about NICU, Mother/Baby, Labor and Delivery that you wished someone had told you.? I have one thing I would like to share.? If you use comfort pads, leave them in the package under mom's water jug while she is nursing.? They get nice and cold under the cup, and feel really awesome.? (I?am not new to lactation, just new to the hospital!)????

Debbie Albert, RN, Ph.D., IBCLC
NCH Healthcare
Naples, FL?

COMMANDS:

Date:    Wed, 13 May 2009 23:29:16 -0400
Subject: mammogram & lactation

I reviewed the archives for information - looks like the most recent disc= ussion=20 was May 2008.  Does anyone have any more recent information on=20 Mammograms during lactation (I do know that she should breastfeed just=20=

before the mammo if possible).  I have the mom's permission to post the=20=

following information:

43 yo. exclusively breastfeeding a 3 month old baby Due for routine screening mammogram (last done 1 1/2 yrs ago) Distant famiy hx of breast cancer

She is getting conflicting information - Dr. odered it - mammography staf= f=20 saying she shouldn't do it.  Any thoughts or references?  I already sent = her=20 the links to the LLL article and Kellymom.com/Jack Newman information.

Thank you,
Lisa

COMMANDS:

End of LACTNET Digest - 13 May 2009 (#2009-518)

COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2