From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:27:02 -0500
Lara asks if bedsharing is riskier for moms who bottle feed their babies
with EBM or is this risk only with ABM.  In other words is it the method
of feeding or the food which indicates risk.  There is not clear
evidence on this but here's a quote from an epidemiologist in response
to the study recently published on the greater risk of death in children
under 1 year if they were ABM fed,
<<The reason breastfeeding would reduce the overall risk of death
remains unclear, though research has shown that in addition to reducing
the risk of SIDS, breastfeeding boosts a baby's immune system, which
protects against infections. There is also a possibility that women who
breastfeed their babies simply tend to spend more time near their
children, protecting them from fatal accidents, Rogan said.

"It may be something as simple as physical proximity. Breastfed kids are
closer to mom," said Rogan, whose findings are being published in the
May issue of Pediatrics and were presented yesterday at the 2004
Academic Pediatrics Societies meeting in San Francisco.>>

One working theory, then, is that by virtue of breastfeeding (that is
feeding the baby at the breast) mom and baby spend more time in close
proximity and therefore mom develops a heightened sense of awareness of
her baby, even while sleeping.  The boost in immune system mentioned in
the quote would obviously be because of breast milk, regardless of mode
of feeding.  What seems more applicable for this bedsharing discussion
is the heightened sense of awareness breastfeeding mothers have (as
opposed to strictly breast-pumping mothers.)  Working off of that
theory, a mother who is kangarooing her baby or doing lots of skin to
skin even if she can't yet get the baby to breast, probably develops a
similar sensitivity.  In fact, we know from studies on kangaroo care,
that this is the case.

Is that about as clear as mud?!  I have lots of research I can look
through if someone needs me to be more specific than this, but it's late
and I'm not motivated to go looking at the moment!  I believe the above
theory is held by Dr. McKenna as well (the part about proximity
begetting familiarity.)  The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine has a
protocol (statement?) about co-sleeping on their website.
(http://www.bfmed.org/)  This would be a good thing to refer to in
hospitals where this issue comes up.

Marsha

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future
generations as all other earthly causes combined.