From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:18:27 +0200
I heard about this research in 2002, at the European Congress on Perinatal
Medicine which was held in Oslo that year.  It was done by Norwegian
researchers and has certainly taken some time to get international
attention.
That, BTW, explains the high BF and low CS rates - though the CS rate may
have risen since then.  Still, I saw a comparison of CS rates in various
countries when I was at the ICM congress in Brisbane, and Norway had one of
the lowest rates of anywhere in the world.  Guess how proud I was to be a
midwife from Norway then!  The only country in Europe that has lower rates
is the Netherlands, and we were very close behind them.
Have to share a nice incident while I'm at it.  My hospital is preparing for
Baby-Friendly assessment early in 2006.  We never got around to it when BFHI
raged through Norway in 1993-96, and are finally managing it.  We are a core
group of enthusiasts with a mandate to work on our written procedures, and
do in-services so the staff can get the requisite number of hours of
training.  There are about 80 people in our system, if you count all the
part-timers, and there are lots of those.  We did a four hour session
including practical demos of cup feeding, positioning, and hand expression -
even using some of our lactating colleagues in the hand expression one.  We
held the same session two days running, yesterday and today, and 59 of the
staff attended.  They had a great time and nothing but good things to say
about it.  We are now waiting to see how long it takes for them to put this
stuff into practice, but it felt like an idea whose time had come.
Rachel Myr
At the end of a pretty good day in Kristiansand, Norway