From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 00:20:41 +0200
In Norwegian colostrum is called 'raw milk' in one word and
industrialization is still so new that almost every living adult knows that
the first milk is called raw milk, in dairy animals as well as women.  There
isn't such a distinction since it's all milk.  I have always wanted to ask
why we don't call the later milk 'cooked milk' :-)

I wish they were half as savvy about Just Plain Milk.  Either that, or I
wish I had ten kroner for every mother who was worried because she doubted
her baby was getting that 'good, NUTRITIOUS milk at the end' as opposed to
the worthless, non-nutritious whitish fluid that comes first.  In trying to
explain why it is a good idea to let the baby indicate when she is ready to
be offered a switch of breasts, they talked about how the milk highest in
butterfat comes toward the end of the feed.  Taking a baby off the breast
too soon deprives them of some cream, as we all know.  This has evolved into
a belief that there is no point in the baby taking in the milk that comes
before the pure heavy cream which hides deep in the breast until some magic
number of minutes has passed, and woe to the mother whose baby isn't latched
when that time comes, for she is doomed to have a baby who gets no proper
food.  The degree of concern is inversely proportional to the roly-polyness
of the baby.

I try when doing group teaching to get across that milk increases in fat
content throughout a feed, and that the more often you feed, the less
variation there is in fat content from start to finish of one feed.  But
this finger-wagging admonishment not to take the baby off or switch breasts
'too soon', because 'she won't get the rich, nutritious high-fat milk at the
end' is bound to be misunderstood.  As if we should just skip the clear
broth soup and our salad course to make sure we have room for the cheesecake
which meets all our nutrient needs.  Drives me bananas.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway