Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 18:41:54 +0000
We've been there many times.  I think the concern about antidepressants
is that they might affect the developing brain.  Thus, if they are not a
concern during pregnancy, they should not be during lactation.  (The
argument that the mother metabolizes the drug for the baby is not the
point if we are worried about a drug's effects on the developing brain,
because the baby will be exposed at a more vulnerable time, to higher
concentrations, usually).  Actually, I think the antidepressants *are* a
concern during pregnancy.

Fluoxetine (Prozac) has been used without apparent problems during
lactation, but sometimes there are problems because more gets into the
milk than other antidepressants.  She could take sertraline (Zoloft) or
paroxetine (Paxil) during lactation and everyone would breathe a little
easier.

Essentially all this family of drugs is the same from the mother's point
of view.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC