From:
"McGratty, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:40:27 -0500
Dear Vaishali Kute and all Lactnetters:

I know I have posted before but I have not introduced myself, sorry.  My
name is Karen McGratty and I am a LLL Leader Applicant in Brooklyn, NY and
have a nursing 17 month old daughter who co-sleeps with us.  Research has
shown and I have done a lot because I am contantly under attack for my
parenting choices, that babies' breathing and heart rate when nursing and
sleeping next to mother's breast are actually better regulated than when
baby sleeps alone in his/her crib.  "Nighttime Parenting" by Dr. and Mrs.
Sears is a good reference.  Also, "Three in a bed, the benefits of sharing
your bed with your baby" by Deborah Jackson is another good source.  The AAP
has even come out with statements on safe co-sleeping.  There are guidelines
to follow to make the bed a safe place and there is plenty of research out
there that shows co-sleeping is even safer with regard to SIDS than sleeping
alone.  The LLL website is also a good source for study modules on the
subject and there is a section on the topic in "Womanly Art of
Breastfeeding" by LLL.
When my daughter was an infant, everyone scared me into thinking she would
be rolled over onto and would suffocate in our bed.  There is no better
place for baby than next to mother's breast and heart.  Hope this helps!

Karen McGratty, LLLL to be, New York, NY