From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:54:56 -0400
On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 09:29 AM, Arly wrote:

> tting aside points one and two for the moment, I am curious as to how
> stooling frequency can be increased in the breastfed baby without giving
> anything by mouth or inserting anything in the rectum.

Yikes!  :)

Moms diet.  I've yet to find one that hasn't been changed by
this....though I'm not searching out content babies with infrequent
stooling patterns to try to change them.

In an otherwise content/gaining baby, I don't even adress the stooling
issue except in situations where the parents are exceptionally
interested in alternative health or are very concerned about baby's
infrequent stooling *and* interested changing mom's diet.

FE,  with my second one I was very uninterested in changing my diet to
regulate her stooling pattern.  I was already gluten free, mostly dairy
free, keeping kosher blah blah blah.  One more change seemed like more
than I could bear.    For Lila, it's the dairy.  The tiniest bit in my
diet (*tiniest*) really slows her down.  If I'm totally dairy free,
she's going 3x per day.  If I have cream in my coffee, she's going 1x
every 1-4 days.   Sometimes I'm really dairy free, somtimes I'm not.
Now that she's eating alot of food, and I mean *alot*, it's easier to
regulate.  She eats no dairy, accidental gluten will cause constipation,
grains in general will really slow her down, but fruits, veggies and
legumes keep her on track.

Another friend had a perfectly happy baby with an infrequent stooling
pattern and eczema.    Eventually, after alot of consideration and
research, mom went gluten free and dairy free.  Suddenly baby went to a
'normal' stooling pattern and no eczema.  The eczema wasn't significant
enough for any intervention by typical standards.  Baby was *very*
happy, didn't seem to be bothered by either the eczema or the infrequent
stooling.  Mom just couldn't get over the sensation that something
wasn't right.

Eventualy dad was diagnosed wtih celiac,  mom was diagnosed with gluten
and dairy intolerances (intestinal antibodies to both)...that's what
triggered the dietary changes.

Just depends on what the parents are interested in afa I'm concerned.
Some are interested in my theories, others aren't.

katherine in atl