From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:50:00 -0000
>1. Is there a list out there of such (American) magazines that
are Code compliant?<

Naomi, I don't know the answer to your question but cannot resist asking if
you are interested only in magazines which do not carry ads for first
formula milks, bottles and teats, or if you are looking for magazines which
comply with both the 1981 Code *and* subsequent relevant WHA resolutions?
If the latter (and remember that the resolutions have the same status as the
code), then ads for follow on milks are also included.

I also think, in the light of the most recent resolution, which contains the
Global Strategy, which covers Infant and Young Child Feeding for the first
three years of life, that ads for any food product which undermines
continued breastfeeding to two or beyond or which undermines APPROPRIATE
complementary feeding should also be considered as equally 'not ok' as ads
for formula.  It is interesting to consider what this might mean -- avoiding
any publication with *any* food ads for infants and young children?
Deciding which ones are appropriate, are advertised to be given in a timely
and safe manner, or what?   As far as I know, no one is discussing this --
what do you all think?

In my limited experience of US magazines, I would guess that most of them,
as with the UK ones (including most for midwives and health visitors) would
FAIL THIS TEST.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK
PS nipple shields, dummies (pacifiers) and pumps can also be considered to
be products covered by the scope of the code.

---