From:
Ann Conlon-Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 00:45:10 EST
Okay -- here is some testimonial... I have co-slept with my twins since the
day they were born.  They are now four years old.  Up until a few weeks ago,
they still nursed to go to sleep.  When they were newborns (38 weeks), Will
(smaller baby) was a much better nurser.  I had a really hard time bringing
in an adequate milk supply (though these were sons # 5 and 6 and I had never
had any problems before).  Used every gadget and trick known to womankind.
Because Sam had more trouble, I would lay him on my left side in middle of
bed and cradle himm with my arm under his head to nurse (in a normal laying
down position).  Since Will was able to nurse any which way, I had him either
laying on top of my body and my right breast OR slung over my right side,
with his head facing down on my breast and his legs hanging over my side onto
bed.  I was able to at least lay down during these nursings and be released
from the trap of my twins nursing pillow in which I lived 24/7!  As they grew
and got bigger, this became much easier and to this day, Sam sleeps in middle
of bed on my left and Will on my right.  It is quite cozy, still in between
them at night and I suspect they will soon be ready to move onto their new
bunk beds.  There were many nights that my husband was completely squashed
and one night he said that he couldn't wait till he got into his coffin cause
then he could finally stretch out!!  Mothering Multiples by Gromada, has
excellent pictures that offer many twin position choices, including
cosleeping.   No scientific studies here, just the facts, ma'am!  Ann
Conlon-Smith, IBCLC, LLLL, Raleigh, NC