From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 19:29:03 -0500
Theoretically baby is covered under mom's medicaid # for 60 days, unless
dependent of a dependent.  In actuality they do not pay.  Just deny.  And
if mom doesn't wander down to medicaid in the first 14 days there is a
major gap in the theoretical coverage and real coverage.  Last winter I had
a pt who was taken off medicaid when mom was 6 week postpartum because mom
(non English speaking) hadn't done what she was supposed to do after baby's
birth.  Of course baby was still in NICU!  Then she was officially on Mercy
HMO Medicaid, but not on NJ medicaid, which is an impossibility.  You MUST
be on NJ medicaid first, then HMO.  So everyone couldn't understand why we
wouldn't give the baby Mercy Medicaid referrals.  Of course Mercy paid us
cap on her for a few months and then took it all back....then she finally
got put on Medicaid at 5 mo of age and then Mercy.  But you had better
believe they didn't repay the cap.  I kept the chart hidden in a drawer and
called her No Baby Ngo.  It was SO frustrating and this is just one
example.

You can't do this too often in a primarily medicaid practice and stay
afloat.  This is the same HMO that has a visiting nurse administer Synagis
monthly in baby's home. They say she shouldn't be exposed to the illnesses
in the office.  Makes so much sense since they waste odd tidbits of Synagis
at $1000/1 ml (I use the odd bits in the office to decrease the total # of
vials I have to use).  Plus they are paying me cap to take care of her!
AND she has to come into the office anyway for regular shots!!!

It is corporate decisions like this that are insane and cost so much.
Sorry for the not BF related rant.

And I know ER can provide "care" but they are such germy places to send a
newborn to.

 Sincerely, Pat in SNJ