Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 21:51:33 -0800
Barb Lukas wrote:

>How rare are these allergies we are talking about?

OK.  I think that sometimes babies just cry.  I know that eliminating
dairy for the first six months helped my baby, but I still had 4-5
nights a week with a fussy baby for 2-3 hours (often during my husband
musician hours).  And crying babies other times.  I know we did a lot
skin to skin, baths (which is kind skin to skin but also warm water with
lavender, etc.), baby massage, slings, walking, drives, I sat on the
dryer with baby in my arms, my youngest LOVED the vacuum so my musician
husband made a tape (heaven forbid we simply vacuum morrow yeah, too
much dusting and cleaning and vacuuming causes allergies ;-)).  I
decided for me that being born and being new is pretty hard work.
 Babies have to figure out so much to make their digestive system work
(I love seeing a new baby work at a bowel movement), what everything
means, noise, lights, and all the action of a normal household, no
longer muffled, and after a long day I know sometimes I just wanner
scream and let out some of the tension and I'm an adult whose been
around for, well,  a while, so surely a new baby would also need to get
rid of some of the stress.  I've seen real allergies, I remember one mom
whose baby had a rash all  over and the doc was prescribing both
external and internal steroids as well as other creams and drugs and to
me the rash looked like a rash I get if I eat too many fresh tomatoes
(when they first come into season on vines--oh yum, I eat 'em like
apples and have to limit myself to 8-10 a day instead of more or I get
this horrid looking rash all over me) and I suggested the mom cut out
tomato and within two weeks, no meds at all, the rash was gone.  She had
one slice of pizza and two patches of red showed up the next day on the
baby.  So we should investigate allergies but I also think sometimes
babies cry cause sometimes people, of all ages, need to cry.  You don't
put down the baby or lock it in the room, you simply take turns holding
and loving the baby and trying lots of things to help settle the baby.

Joylyn