From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:24:41 -0800
Being born in 1947 in post war Germany, my displaced parents applied to
emigrate

to the US.  We arrived at NYC by ship in 1949.  At age 2-1/2 I arrived
with two

smallpox immunization scars on my upper left arm that look like the push
button

light switches that old houses used to have.  Today they talk of eczema
being a

contraindication; I have also had psoriasis since age 10.  Every year I
get a

psoriasis breakout in one of those two smallpox scars.

As an international flight crew member from 1967-71, we had yearly
smallpox

boosters.  I had to schedule mine when we got back on a weekday prior to
5pm

to make it to the hangar medical office.  My re-inoculation had to be
when I had

at least ten days off to recover. I always got a sickly flu/fever/aching
reaction

for about 3 days and felt I had to lie low until it passed.  Then they
discontinued

smallpox in 1972, one year after I quit.

Judy Ritchie