Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2014 18:36:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Lazy day here in the valley of the sun where I'm "snowbirding". I've decided to spend my 3rd lactnet "coin" for the day by sharing a trick I have found successful with lots of sleep-deprived young moms who are concerned about their supply.

I seldom mention the hormonal aspect, as I want to keep it simple. I tell them that of all the great things in their milk, there is at least one thing that has a double job to do. When it goes into the baby, it's great for the baby. When it stays in mom's breast for any length of time, it's job is to start acting like a traffic cop. (Sometimes I even tell them "I like to give him a name. Let's call him Phil;-)"

"After a while he starts to hold his hand up and blow his whistle, as if there's some sort of traffic jam. He says 'Slow down a little, (Mom's name and baby's name) don't want so much milk!' So, give him time off-duty more often by removing some milk more often, especially when you are awake.  Maybe just express or pump for 10 minutes or so every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during part of the morning and afternoon, in addition to however often the baby eats. Each of your breasts makes milk the fastest in the hour after milk is removed from it, so put in your order for a few more of those speedy production hours per day."

None of them has ever actually told me it sounds "corny", and if they follow the "script", they seldom complain about too little milk, plus they can remember the story better to tell their family and friends if need be;-) I had to repeat the story once again for my granddaughter, but now she's got it down pat and is EPing plenty for her baby, who has an external G-tube. (Many more surgeries in his future, but I saw him for the first time in mid-January. Seven months old now and cute as a bug in a rug;-)

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC       Dayton OH   (Now in sunny Phoenix, AZ)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2