From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:46:21 +0800
>Today I received a request for help from a 35 yr. old mom of 3.  Her 8 week
>old woke up at 4am today to nurse and after about 30min of nursing, mom
>reported she was unable to have a letdown.

When I read this story, it didn't make a lot of sense to me. It didn't
really sound to me like a let-down problem at all.

Mom stated that this prob occurred
>at 4 weeks of age when family was in Fl. for vacation and also baby had "the
>sniffles" so mom just chalked it up to changes in schedule and added stress.
>After 48 hours of pumping and giving EBM via bottle after nursing attempts,
>finally was able to have letdown again.

If she had let-down problems, how did she manage to get enough EBM to feed
the baby????

  Mom
>stated that this am her gown was soaked and other side leaked during the
>nursing this am but baby still frustrated at breast, pulling, moving head side
>to side which is making mom even more sore.

This is a sure sign that she *did* let down. To me, this sounds more like a
baby being distracted by discomfort or pain while feeding than anything to
do with milk flow. Colicky or refluxy babies do this a lot. Mothers often
interpret the baby's behaviour as there being no milk and baby is
frustrated.

 Is it possible that this baby is
>having latch on difficulties after 8 successful weeks of nursing?

I'd reckon that the sore nipples are from baby pulling and chomping when
unsettled at the breast rather than a latch-on problem as such.

Now I know some of us seem to have our 'pet subjects' (for several it is
thrush), and mine, as many of you know already, is food intolerance. The
signs I 'hear' here are
- snuffly baby when problem occurred first
- mum taking Tylenol for sinus pain when it occurred again
Both snuffly baby and sinus pain in mum can be indications of intolerance
or allergy problems, along with fussy-at-the-breast behaviour.

Just thought I'd throw this one in as something to be considered.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]