Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2010 07:55:26 EST
The yukky brown stuff was Tincture of Benzoin.  The virtual  Hershey's Kiss
goes to Cathy Watson Genna who was first (and only) to  e-mail me with the
name of the goo.

Friar's Balsam I've never heard of -- is it like Benzoin?   Blech to it all.

On hourly rounding:  When we do our "Bridges" program at  hospitals we
suggest that mothers be given at least a 2 hour period of  uninterrupted nap
time -- no visitors, no housekeeping, no docs, no lab, no  nurses.  We are told
that it is impossible as the nurses have to do hourly  rounding...

This is yet another method of lumping healthy postpartum women into  the
same category as the man who has just had cardiac bypass surgery (hopefully
they are seeing him more than hourly), or the lady that had an abdominal
hysterectomy, or the elderly gentleman with a total knee replacement.   Surely
we can be more creative than that.  Since when is it wrong to say to  the
mom at 1:00, "It is rest time for our unit.  I will not make rounds at  2:00,
however if you need something, please don't hesitate to call and I'll come
right in.  We'll be back to regularly scheduled rounding at 3:00."

Why on earth can't we think outside the box and recognize that for  the
most part, we have healthy, normal women on our postpartum unit.  That  surely
rounding can be given up for an hour so that the moms actually could rest
with their babies.

Oh -- but that brings up a whole 'nuther can of worms.   REST?  WITH their
babies?  Surely not!  The minute that mom shuts  her eyes, that baby will
(a) smother (b) die of SIDS (c) mom will throw him out  of the bed like an
unwanted pillow (d) fall between the side rail and the  mattress.

Oh.  But we can't have side rails up.....because these are  normal healthy
adults and we can't confine them like that.  Except that we  don't trust
them with their babies.

Sigh.

The state of Birth the American Way is pitiful.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
_www.lactationeducation.com_ (http://www.lactationeducation.com/)