Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:54:29 -0500
Perhaps there ought to be an agreed upon designation for non IBCLC's that would be clear.  I think I remember the California educators (sorry, slips my mind who it is) that used the designation Lactation Educator for first-level providers.  Get rid of the "C" altogether for non-ICLC's.  Call Peer Counselors - Lactation Peer Educators.  Period.  In some ways, this is reminiscent of the use of "Doctor".  The public thinks of doctors as M.D.'s for the most part when in reality there are doctors of all sorts of things.  But you wouldn't hang out your shingle as an MD if you were a pHd.  There's licensing boards to handle that.  We need the same for IBCLC. IMHO.  And I think we need SUPERVISED clinical hours to qualify.  Pathway 3 seems the most viable for true professionalism.