Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:54:29 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Perhaps there ought to be an agreed upon designation for non IBCLC's that would be clear.  I think I remember the California educators (sorry, slips my mind who it is) that used the designation Lactation Educator for first-level providers.  Get rid of the "C" altogether for non-ICLC's.  Call Peer Counselors - Lactation Peer Educators.  Period.  In some ways, this is reminiscent of the use of "Doctor".  The public thinks of doctors as M.D.'s for the most part when in reality there are doctors of all sorts of things.  But you wouldn't hang out your shingle as an MD if you were a pHd.  There's licensing boards to handle that.  We need the same for IBCLC. IMHO.  And I think we need SUPERVISED clinical hours to qualify.  Pathway 3 seems the most viable for true professionalism.  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Burger

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:43 PM

Subject: Re: CLCs versus LLLL and WIC peer counselors

Dear Linda and Others:

Too date, I have never had the problem with LLLL or WIC peer counselors or any other breastfeeding helper for that matter than I have had with SOME CLCs.  I say this having had some very very excellent colleagues going through the CLC course fully understanding that they were COUNSELORS until they became CONSULTANTS.  There is something in the training in at least one of the courses (as per the JD, CLC, IBCLC) that leads SOME CLCs to really go beyond the scope of practice of being a CLC.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2