From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 2006 09:07:19 -0700
Then again, motherhood isn't "free," either!

  I looked at the study showing that breastfeeding is more expensive than formula. Nearly all of the items on the list are unnecessary. When I speak with mothers who have very limited incomes, I try to point out alternatives to "nursing equipment." Regular pillows can be used to support the baby at the breast, nursing clothing is nice, but completely unnecessary, breast shells, shields, etc. are rarely needed, and I know many mothers who nurse their babies while wearing a normal bra. If mom is home, a pump is not needed, nor are bottles and teats. Unless mother has nipple soreness that is not relieved by proper positioning and perhaps the application of a little breastmilk after a feed to soothe the nipples in the early days, why does she need a nipple cream? I never used more than what came in my free samile from Lansinoh.

  Many early breastfeeding problems can be handled by the mother working with an LLLL or other lay support person. If the problem is more severe, the LLLL can always contact her Area Professional Liason, at no expense to the mother.

  The only items on the list that seemed necessary were breast pads (at least in the early weeks). Only 7 of the mothers survyed used washable pads, which save a great deal of money.

  Also, breastmilk spit-up washed out well, while formula stains tend to leave an ugle brown mark, ruining more of baby's clothing.

  I have tossed or given away most of my breastfeeding "equipment." Were I to have another child, the only equipment I would need would be my breasts. I would probably buy some washable pads, with a total cost of about $20 US. Maybe a bra or two, but bras wear out and women need to buy them periodically anyway.

  It seems to me that our formula-feeding culture just expects feeding an infant will cost money, and the manufacturers of breastfeeding aids have jumped right in to appease their desire to "buy stuff" for the baby. Am I missing something?

  --Kellie Whitney
  LLLL in CA