From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:43:07 EST
In a message dated 12.15.03 2:12:19 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I thought Ann Perry's and Jo-Anne's comments about this case were
> excellent.

I agree!
I might also take this one step further.....
Based on what I read in Mary's description (I say this because we all know
that perception is the key!) this baby *might* get plenty at the breast with
*minor* attention/changes to the breastfeeding and little use of "stuff".
It seems that this mother is barely managing the feeding itself never mind
adding more. The fact that she manages to pump 4x day in the bathroom is
actually impressive! If she is like most new mothers of 3 week olds, she is using
primarily cradle or xcradle position, is paying very little attention to feeding
effectiveness, and uses little or no compression during feeds. Adding football
hold, compression and switch nursing when swallowing diminishes should
GREATLY increase amounts transferred,should result in a happier more sated baby and
may leave *room* for a little extra insurance pumping and enough for some
night time supplements (after breastfeeding, of course!) just until Mom feels a
little less harried and more convinced of her body's ability to make enough
milk.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts