From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 11:47:00 -0400
Hello all:
    I found Paula's comment on the perfect LC interesting. Her suggestion
that "breastfeeding without difficulties" being our goal, and leading to the
perfect LC was intriguing. I do not believe one has to have problems, or even
be a nursing mom to be a good BF advocate or LC, but it can certainly lend a
unique empathy and perspective. In my own view of life, I do not believe the
goal in anything is to be "without difficulties" whether it is at work, in
relationships, especially marriage, in parenting, etc. I try to make this
point especially during times when families seem to be struggling with the
"why isn't this easy for me?" issue. Overall  or at least eventually ,things
can be wonderful, and satisfying, and wholly worthwhile - I do not find this
translates to "easy" or "without difficulties". This may seem trivial but
language can be so powerful,  as Dianne W. has so eloquently said before. If
we give people the idea that BF without difficulties is the ultimate goal we
risk deflating their confidence in themselves when difficulties may arise.
For me it it better to acknowledge that life in general is a challenge and
there is no greater subset of challenges than those of parenting. BF  is a
part of the natural repetoire we are given to help meet this challenge, but
like anything else, it comes with its own set of challenges. Overcoming can
be just as "good" (and sometimes more empowering in general) as avoiding
sometimes... Just my humble opinion, Judy Fram, Brooklyn, NY