Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 08:18:06 EDT
Better than the average doc.....I'm sure you are!  Anybody who can hang in
with LACTNET, through all our ravings about our frustrations with the docs
and other people who make bf difficult for moms, and take courage to speak
out, is far above average.  Good for you!

I don't claim to have read all the new bf books---for which I apologize.  But
the ones I like best for an informed professional are 1) Stuart-Macadam &
Dettwyler's 'Breastfeeding: Biocultural Perspectives' and 2) Jelliffe &
Jelliffe's 'Human Milk in the Modern World.'

For "how-to," I like La Leche League's 'Womanly Art' and Renfrew, Fisher and
Arms' 'Bestfeeding.'

For lots of info and opinion, I like Maureen Minchin's 'Breastfeeding
Matters' (as long as you're not put off by page-long paragraphs).  I hear
that a new edition is due out.

For useful background in a small package, I like The WHO Bulletin Supplement
'Infant Feeding: the Physiological Basis,' edited by Akre.  The little book
put out for midwives in the UK is also a gem---very clear on how
breastfeeding works and how to assist.  The type was too small for my aging
eyes, but perhaps later editions have fixed that problem.  (If you can't see
well enough to read the book, you probably can't see well enough to suture a
tear either.)

A good read for anybody---general knowledge---is Palmer's 'The Politics of
Breastfeeding.'  That's the one that convinced my daughter's partner that
fathers don't have to feed bottles to be close to their babies.

And my latest find is the Food and Nutrition Bulletin from the United Nations
University Press; volume 16, no 4, December 1995 is all about the care and
nutrition of young children, which means breastfeeding and complementary
foods.  I'm not sure how you obtain this, as mine was a gift, but I'll let
you know once I find out.

For a comprehensive text, I liked Riordan and Auerbach's first
edition---haven't had time to read the second edition yet, but I assume it's
even better than the first.  I have used Lawrence's book as a text for a
college course.  It's full of good info but I find it very frustrating to
read---not what I'd call "reader-friendly."  I have it on my shelf, though,
and I refer to it often.

Happy reading!

Chris