From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:32:39 -0700
Thanks Carol, Crystal and others who responded to my request about the bf
presentation...I did exactly what most of you suggested (I started with the
INFACT posters as a jumping point for discussing the embarrassment/sexuality
issue and raised the cost/benefit numers).  The presentation went well, but
I followed a presentation on IN HARMONY (a truly wonderful program trying to
build an intergenerational community for children in the foster care system
and the elderly who are needing a community to live in).  It was very hard
to impress upon people how important bf is after seeing a video on kids
being taken from their abusive/neglect homes, split up from their siblings,
bounced around the system, etc.  I did use it as a reference point and used
the statistic of "child abuse is 38 times more likely in families that do
not bf" by acheson "Famliy Violence and Bf" from the Archives of Fam Med,
1995; 4:650-562.  Of course I mentioned that we cannot attribute causality,
but it made the point.

This presentation was politically difficult because I had to go over the
fact that the County Health Dept had just "let go" the only IBCLC the had (a
very well qualified, enthusiastic RN), and three other IBCLCs have left our
comunity within the past year.  The head of the health dept was receptive,
but didn't exactly commit to hiring another IBCLC (not that I asked in my 15
minutes, but someone else did).  I tried to explain why having universal
access to an IBCLC was even more important to WIC and lower income moms, but
I'm not sure how much sank in given the time limitations.  We had a lively
discussion over ILCAs Hazards of Infant Formula statement...most people had
NEVER heard the "benefits of bf" phrased that way, so I brought up the issue
in terms of how we talk about infant car seats, vaccinations, etc.  This
really seemed to drive the point home.

I'm glad it's over because I really need some rest (not yet 3 weeks post
hysterectomy and other "repairs").  Thanks again.
Warmly,
chris
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, educator, lactation consultant, researcher, scientist, author,
organic gardener, photographer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner.