Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:47:38 EDT
Dear Ester, I just tell them it isn't beneficial usually to pump until their
milk supply is well established.  Generally it isn't until around 4-6 weeks.
If they get uncomfortable before then, maybe the day they begin transitioning
milk in or during the first few days just for relief, it is ok.  Then I
explain that depending on each individual baby, you cannot just pick at time
that is perfect, that much depends on how the baby is feeding at the breast.
Grandmothers, Fathers, etc need to know that feeding the baby is just one
thing, there are so many others they can help you with and build a bond with
the baby.  I am sure you will get many other suggestions . Good Luck
Martha A. Rhea, IBCLC , ICCE