Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2012 10:09:20 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
In New Mexico it would be great if all our Breastfeeding Peer Counselors had IBCLC credentials, but that would not make them PEER counselors.  Our BPC's have to have been on WIC in the past.  Our BPC are true peers.  I hire and train BPC's for my office.  If you applied and had an IBCLC that would be great, but if you were never a WIC client I would not hire you.  
You do not need a degree or credential in nutrition to be a BPC in New Mexico.  We provide all the training (the Loving Support Program).  You have to have been a WIC mom and have breastfed for at least 6m when hired (we hire lots of moms who are nursing babies less than 1yr).  We even have teen BPC in some of our offices (NM has one of the highest rates of teen pregnancy, but our teens have great BFing rates thanks to BPC's!).  To work as a nutritionist/educator you do need a degree in nutrition or a health related field with a specific number of credits in nutrition (I have a BS in nutritional science, so I am not sure how many credits are needed). 

I hope this helps.

Sandra Jean Taylor
WIC Nutritionist/Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Team Leader
Albuquerque, NM   

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2