From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2000 12:24:28 +1000
Hi folks.  I, too, have a terminology question - though this does relate to
factual differences.
Lisa Marasco and i have been discussing the terminology to describe
abnormally large breasts which are as a result of excessive growth of the
breast (not because the woman may be obese).

My dictionary definitions are:

hyperplasia - increase in volume of a tissue or organ caused by the
formation and growth of new cells (adj. hyperplastic)

hypertrophy - increase in volume of a tissue or organ produced entirely by
enlargement of existing cells (adj. hypertrophic)

Lawrence appears to use them interchangably, I think.  Though she may be
using hypertrophy to describe gigantomastia and hyperplasia to describe
abnormally large breasts, but not pathologic.  I don't know.

Would those who have an interest in this please give it your consideration
and maybe we can arrive at a concensus.

Thanks
Denise