From:
Adele Delgado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:05:09 -0800
This is more of the balanced approach I would love to see. Give the
patient the facts and options.  This puts the decision rightly back in
the hands of the patient.  It is the mandatory approach that I object to.
 In my 16+ years of working with nursing mothers and babies I only have
seen one case of rotavirus.  That was with a severely compromised baby,
traumatic premature birth, other medical problems and low weight gain,
and mother with (at the time) undiagnosed Sheehan's Syndrome.  Baby did
much better once she was convinced she had to supplement.

I understand the concern since, as you noted, many mothers wean at an
early age.  How about recommending to patients that if they wean
before...(fill in the blank.)..age, that their baby would be at higher
risk again and should consider getting the vaccine at  weaning? This
might encourage them to nurse longer.  Couldn't hurt.  Might help.  In
the meantime, thanks for your balanced approach.

To Dr. Chai--I understand the virus can be devastating.  I am also sure
that parents of children brain damaged from vaccine can make an equally
eloquent plea for caution.  Life is inherent with risk.  I am just
saying, we should all have the information to make informed decisions and
the right to make those decisions for ourselves, not be mandated.

-Adele Delgado, LLLL,
Santa Ysabel, Ca.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]