From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:07:32 +0200
Susan Johnson writes:
I've been told by more than one hospital that patients cannot see written
breastfeeding-related policy.  It's against policy...

Reading 12 LN digests this a.m. (OK, I was at work yesterday, then spent the
evening with my BF mothers' group) I woke up in a hurry on reading this.  To
be approved as a Baby-Friendly facility, the institution MUST have a
breastfeeding policy that meets specific criteria established by WHO/Unicef.
It is a non-negotiable requirement that the policy be made known in writing
and orally to all staff having to do with mothers and BF children in the
facility, and that written and oral info based on the policy be made
available to all mothers.  The evaluators ask every interviewed staff person
whether the institution has such a policy, and saying 'no' or 'I don't know'
is the Wrong Answer.  Respondents answering 'yes' are then requested to show
the evaluators the policy, as in 'take me to the spot on your ward where the
policy is available for me to read'.  It is required that the institution
can show that all staff caring for mothers and babies have been given
training to facilitate the implementation of the policy as well.

If patients can not see a written BF policy I would strongly suspect that
the institution doesn't have one, or that it is written by a manufacturer of
artificial baby milk.

Sheesh.
Rachel Myr