From:
Phyllis Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2011 06:49:35 -0700
How about culturing the pump parts? That is more often the source of
infection. We have a dedicated microwave, 1100 power. And we use the
micro-steam bags. The microwave is on an old bedside table and supplies are
in the drawers below. A 2nd table is beside it for work space and added
storage.
Wash the parts in hot soapy water, rinse well, put in a bag with 2 oz water
(measured in a feeding bottle), seal it up, and microwave for 1min 30 sec.
Pour out the hot water in a sink, and carefully, gloved put the clean pieces
on paper towels to drip dry, or as a holding place while mom assembles them
for use again. The tubing can be sterilized also, but must be done
separately. Read directions. We started this when we discovered that it is
not possible to order sterile nipple shields from anyone any more. The bags
can be used many times, but we label them for that one mother and it is hers
to reuse as needed. For a NICU mom, probably weekly is enough. But when
active infection is of concern, daily is a do-able thing.
Did they actually swab the mothers' chests or hands to see if that is the
real source?
Phyllis

Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC, RLC