From:
Cynthia Visness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 14:42:00 -0500
There was a request last week for me to post FHI's fact sheet on
LAM on LACTNET.  I don't feel quite comfortable doing that --
anyway it's quite a bit more than one page in its unformatted,
Internet state.  I can respond to individual requests if I am
sent a self-addressed, stamped envelope.  It may also be
available from ILCA headquarters in the future.  Below is a very
condensed version of the basic LAM facts.

This will be my last posting.  I have enjoyed this tremendously,
but FHI's program in breastfeeding research has been discontinued
(having proved LAM's effectiveness) so my work is taking me in
other directions, and these digests are too much to keep up with.
Best wishes to all!  I'm glad I stayed long enough to hear about
the exploding breast!

*******

IS BREASTFEEDING AN EFFECTIVE CONTRACEPTIVE?

The Lactational Amenorrhea Method, or LAM, states that
breastfeeding provides up to 98% effective contraceptive provided
that three criteria are met:

     The mother has not experienced the return of her menstrual
     periods (bleeding up to the 56th postpartum day is
     considered part of the postpartum recovery process and is
     not counted as menstrual bleeding);

     The mother is fully or nearly fully breastfeeding; and

     The baby is less six months old.

Recent clinical trials of LAM have shown that the method is at
least as effective as the Bellagio scientists predicted that it
would be.  Fewer than 1% of LAM users in three clinical trials
experienced a pregnancy when all the three LAM criteria were met.

Defining what is meant by "full" breastfeeding can be difficult.
The following definitions are currently being used by family
planning counselors who are teaching LAM:

     Full breastfeeding can be exclusive (no other liquid or
     solid is given to the infant) or almost exclusive (vitamins,
     water, juice or ritualistic feeds given infrequently to the
     infant).

     Nearly full breastfeeding means that the vast majority of
     feeds (at least 85%) are breastfeeds.  There can be some
     supplementation with another liquid or food, but
     supplementation never replaces or delays a breastfeed.

Cynthia Visness               Voice:         919.544.7040
Research Associate            Voicemail:     919.544.6979 x586
Family Health International   Fax:           919.544.7261
Contraceptive Use &           Internet:      [log in to unmask]
Epidemiology Division

Post Office Address:          Shipping Address:
P.O Box 13950                 2224 Chapel Hill-Nelson Hwy
RTP, NC 27709-3950 USA        Durham, NC 27713 USA