From:
Elaine Mazgelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:20:56 -0500
I have a question.

I have just finished reading the UCLA independent study module on DHA and
ARA supplements and bf babies (which was excellent, in my opinion!). If I
understood it right, it said "it doesn't matter what a mother eats while
she is breastfeeding", and that "her breastmilk will always have just the
right amount of the "lipil" components (the manufactured ones are put
into the "lipilized" formulas."

My question is: what about all the discussion recently on Lactnet about
the right "proportions" of omega-3's and 6's in a woman's diet? Does it
affect  "how much" or "how little" of these components show up in her
milk?

Now, to open a can of worms, what do you recommend moms eat more of?
Flax, fish (but only once per week), fish oil tabs (I tried those and
would NOT recommend those) and avoid trans fat ingredients as much as
possible, lots of fresh fruits and veggies, limit high fat meats and
dairy as much as possible, whole grains, unprocessed if they are able and
choose to buy it.

And if it's true (I probably misunderstood the module) that breastmilk is
always perfect with regard to these components, then could someone please
explain to me how on earth it would be possible for the formula companies
to sell these new supplements to women if they are, indeed, totally
unnecessary.

Totally befuddled
(and ready for flames, arguments et al...
and happy to learn)

Elaine Mazgelis, RD, IBCLC
Cambridge-Somerville WIC
Massachusetts, USA