Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 21:42:35 EDT
At any point do these alarmists look at the possibility of prenatal
synthesization? Would a baby this allergic even make it to term?
My logical mind says that if baby is SO allergic to these substances as to
"react" to what does make it through the breastmilk, then wouldn't there have
been a problem with carrying the pregnancy to term? [given that mother's diet
was the same in pregnancy] Or do they automatically assume that the
synthesization occurs after birth?
My own *invalid* study of one is an anaphylactic reaction to Phenobarbital at
age 11. Anaphylaxis does not occur (according to my understanding) with the
first exposure. The only thing it could be related to was my mother taking
Phenobarbital in pregnancy.
In clinical practice I find that the most allergic kids are the ones whose
mother's had high intakes of certain foods in pregnancy. Specifically eggs,
p-nut butter and dairy.
Any thoughts?
Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC