From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:30:48 EST
Dear Diane,
I believe I can take credit for thinking up "formula: closer than ever to
mother's milk = if you started from Philadelphia, Pittsburg is closer than to
Honolulu."

In 1992 I had just come back from my trip to Swaziland, where I had the great
opportunity to do two weeks of teaching with SINAN, and I remember telling
Kay Hoover that I had got this bright idea for the class on formula
marketing, using Johannesbrug, Mbabane (the capital of Swaziland), and
Nairobi as the three cities.  Kay said that was all very well, but I should
use places that were familiar to U.S. people when I taught classes at home.
Since we're in the Philadephia area, the cities were easy to think up, and I
love using Honolulu because it seems Soooo far away, especially in grey old
February!  This nugget probably got its U.S. launch at one of the Private
Practice LC Workshops.

Chris Mulford