From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 20:01:35 +0200
Michelle Scott asks whether any of us are concerned as she is about
the medications mother is using in this case of a baby who lost 3
ounces of weight from day 9 to day 14.
I'm less concerned about the medications than I am about the baby
losing weight. My sources state minimal transfer to breastmilk for
both drugs.

Michelle, you've given us the birth weight in your post, and info
about weight loss, but to be able to judge I'd like to know the lowest
recorded weight, which day it was recorded on, and what today's weight
was, not just that it was lower than 5 days ago. Is current weight
above or below birth weight?

The milk transfer as assessed by pre- and post-weighing isn't
remarkably high for two weeks, but without knowing the other data I am
not sure whether it is of concern. How long was baby at breast? How
representative was the feed? The drowsiness can be a cause of poor
feeding, it can be a result of poor feeding, and it can be both things
simultaneously. It can also be a symptom of something else, and the
something else can be causing poor feeding, like cardiac
insufficiency. I'm glad baby is being examined for that. Is mother
taking steps to compensate for the baby's inability to stimulate and
build her supply?

I hope the medications are having the desired effect on the mother
because this baby needs for his mother not to be disappearing under a
black cloud of depression :-)  I hope, too, you can let us know how it
goes. Good luck.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway