Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:00:04 GMT
I agree, Heather,
I've seen several cases where mothers have tried to argue that breastfeeding means they can't separate from their child.  In courts here one of the prime objectives is preserving the parent/child relationships so making the bf'ing a barrier to visitation can backfire.
In this case I think there are 2 common misconceptions that are both working against the mother.  The first is that breastmilk can easily be 'contaminated' and other alternatives (which means formula for babies less than 1 year old) are safer.  The other is that there's no benefit, or even actual harm, in breastfeeding past a year.  Someone who doesn't understand the nursing relationship would say, 'why not wean, just to be safe?' which, as I've posted before, is one of my least favorite phrases in the human language.
This case is happening in my backyard so, if noone else does it first, I'll update the list as the story develops.  I believe there'll be another hearing in Sept.
Marcia McCoy