From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:46:48 -0600
>PARENTING
>Beware of 'bad science'
>By Mark Vonnegut, Globe Correspondent, 10/24/99
>
>Our government's recent warning that it was unsafe to ever have babies
>or small children sleep in bed with their parents went way too far.
>
>The controversial US Consumer Products Safety Commission report and its
>recommendation should be opposed not on the basis of taste - although
>its use of scare tactics makes it vulnerable - or even because it goes
>against the intuition and practice of so many pediatricians and parents.
>It should be challenged because it's bad science.
>
>Bad science sets out to make a point, looks neither to the left nor to
>the right but only straight ahead for evidence that supports the point
>it sets out to make. When it finds evidence it likes, it gathers it
>tenderly and subjects it to little or no testing.
>
>And that's exactly what the commission did in this, its first attempt to
>quantify the number of fatalities resulting from the practice of parents
>"co-sleeping" with their babies and toddlers. The study, published in
>the October issue of the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine,
>was based on the deaths of 515 children under age 2 from 1990 -1997. All
>515 died in adult beds. The commission concluded that all the deaths
>were caused by that fact.
>
>Such a conclusion amounts to connecting dots that shouldn't necessarily
>be connected. If a young child dies in bed with his or her parents,
>there can be many reasons. Completely normal babies can go home after a
>"well baby" checkup (with or without immunizations) and die of Sudden
>Infant Death Syndrome, or SIDS. Those babies could be in a
>safety-certified crib, or in an adult bed. Babies can also have
>overwhelming infections, strokes, or congenital heart disease - all of
>which may or may not be correctly diagnosed on autopsy.
>
>The problem might not be with the children. Maybe it's safe to be in bed
>with a sober parent but not a drunken one. Maybe some of the parents
>involved, as was the case with some of the familial SIDS research,
>murdered their children.
>
>Small numbers also make for bad science. Given how many babies and
>toddlers there are in the United States, 515 is a very small number. And
>the number of those deaths due to a "co-sleeping" parent rolling over on
>a child, rather than the child becoming caught in bedding or rails, is
>even smaller: 121. The amount of reliable, testable information
>available in each case is virtually nonexistent. To really understand
>the cause of something that claims the lives of, roughly, 1 in 100,000
>babies and toddlers, you need to follow at least 1 million control
>cases. Only then can you examine a wide array of variables.
>
>The commission based its findings on death certificates, medical
>examiners' reports, and news accounts, dividing them into two
>categories: the 121 youngsters said to have died because a parent or
> [...]
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html