From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 08:51:25 -0500
Dear Ann,

The physician you spoke of probably has additional issues that she is not
making you aware of.  Personal issues maybe, or stuff not even having to DO
with you. SO,please, do not take her rude behavior personally. She is
grinding her own stone, so to speak.

Since you are obviously supportive of breastfeeding...and so is she...the
only problem is to bring you two to find some harmony among the unrealistic
expectations. Do you have a supervisor?  If so, bringing her in, or someone
else, in , as a mediator, would be advisable, perhaps.

I believe that this woman has no IDEA how long it takes for babies to
latch...sometimes...perhaps she would come around with you sometime?  Is
there only ONE LC?  And 125 births a month? How can one LC do all that
alone?  If she is as supportive of breastfeeding as she says...she cannot
possibly live in the fairy world that everyone is going to latch within a
day of birth, not with the meds on board. Folks, what are the studies to
help Ann with this doc concerning Medication and its effect on Lactation.?
Bring 'em to her.

I also do not see any reason that folks need to be abusive in any situation.
Professionally, I think that if SHE thinks there is a problem with LC
functioning in the hospital, that a task force could be formed..or a quality
assurance committee, so that issues can be delineated and discussed, and
plans made.

She needs to be clued in.  If there is to be no finger feeding and no bottle
feeding (not that I advocate it) and no cup feeding...WHAT IS GOING TO
HAPPEN THEN to the kids who are so disorganized by medicatiosn that they
don't know where they are?

It might be easier to write up your feelings and thoughts , and present her
with copies and to the head nurse. It is always good to document. Of course,
knowing you, Ann, I know you will be nothing but polite and professional.
Let her reply then...and see if she follows suit.

"She says she requires me to have ALL babies sucking and
nursing by 24 hours of age, No moms should go home with a breast pump, and No
alternative feeding methods, even a bottle would be allowed. She said she would
let the mom board if baby is not nursing by then and mom could not go home until
breastfeeding is going well."

Ann, she can require anything she wants.  Reality is reality.  She has half
of the right idea....she just doesn't know it ain't possible in a world of
drug-laden births.  If you open her eyes to it, she may be your most
powerful ally.

Remember, don't take it personally.  It isn't you.

Warmly, Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,Corgi-L,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html (PLEASE VISIT!  I have a counter
now!!!)
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html