From:
Jean Macomber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 18:56:22 -0400
Following the thread that Jeanette and Phyllis have commented on
regarding the things not learned in the hospital and complaints about
nurses telling Moms conflicting information, here's another thought.

Our unit has been struggling with comments coming back on patient
surveys saying, "everyone told me something different and confused me!"
Based upon those comments, we began giving inservices at which
attendance was required--yes, it was only an hour and you can't teach
nearly enough--but just basically a reminder of what the unit philosophy
is: family centered care, 24 hr rooming in, supportive of BF, etc. When
the unit opened over 3 years ago, much of our current staff was not on
board and didn't have the picture of a cozy, homey place like the
original staff did. (Generalization, I know, but I think you understand
where I'm going.) The inservice discussed infant sleep patterns 1st 24
hrs after birth, so people wouldn't freak out if a sleepy baby didn't
eat, talked about assistance with positioning, identified printed
resource material available for staff and where to find it, etc, etc.
Now that I am actually going to be allowed to do LC work (not and NICU
or postpartum assignment and whatever else I can fit in), I have lots of
ideas for keeping folks up to date and "on the same page". Can't wait!

BUT, from personally observing patients and hearing their comments, I
have also discovered that as new Moms they expect to be "taught" (to BF,
to bathe the baby, take the temp, etc.) And many expect to be taught THE
ONE RIGHT WAY to do whatever it is. They have little or no contact with
BF before having their baby and do not understand that there IS no one
right way to BF (or bathe a baby or to parent a child!) I start telling
Moms in childbirth and prenatal BF classes that if someone suggests
something and it makes no sense to them, it's OK to throw that idea out
and try something else! If you ask 10 people how to do anything they
will all go about it differently. Getting "conflicting info" in the
hospital on BF may be partly because suggestions 1, 2, and 3 didn't
work, so someone made suggestion 4.

Anyway, this is getting much too long! If we can teach Moms the
principles of BF, maybe they won't get confused by the "suggestions".

Jean Macomber, RN, IBCLC, NICU