Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2004 08:21:05 -0800
Hi,
   Do other hospitals have such protocols for hypoglycemia?  Yes, our
protocol is to test small or large babies, early babies, babies of mom's
with diabetes.  Babies who have not eaten well or  any baby who is jittery.
If the level is below 46 they are given an ounce of formula.  This is true
even if the mom can breastfeed, even if she has a lot of colostrum, even if
the baby is asymptomatic.
  The protocol actually states that the baby can be breastfed and then
retested but what usually happens is the baby RN prefers to take baby to the
nursery for observation and give the ABM.  They will often retest the baby
as they are breastfeeding - not waiting for the sugar level to rise.
Saturday I worked with a lovely baby 2 hours old.  The baby was
breastfeeding well but the RN tested the baby and the level was 36 - so in
came the formula, even though the ped group of the baby and the parents did
not wish this to happen.  There was nothing I could do (and keep working!).
Until the parents actually write complaints it won't change.
And we had Nancy Wight come last year to talk to all of our Peds about
hypoglycemia - the Drs loved it but few are willing to buck the system here.
So - you are not alone in this.  Judith Markham IBCLC RLC