From:
JeannIBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:15:43 EST
Carol,
You are absolutely right.  Body fluids is a much *nicer* term than blood and
semen.  The problem with it is that now the CDC and OSHA have to clarify
exactly what they mean by the term.

Let us remember that human milk is not considered a body fluid by the CDC and
by OSHA.  Here are the references available on the internet:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hip/universa.htm.  Universal precautions
for prevention of transmission of HIV and other bloodborne infections.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  1998.

http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshDoc/Interp_data/I19921214.html Breast milk does not
constitute occupational exposure as defined by standard.  Occupational Safety
and Health Administration.  1992.

Lisa, I agree that we have become so upset by the idea of something horrible
passing through our milk through breastfeeding, that we have failed to test
the parameters.   You have an excellent point that the virus is fragile.  What
exactly would it take to kill it?  It begins dying almost immediately and does
not withstand a non-fluid state.  It prefers body temperature to cold or hot.
This would be an excellent study.  Any takers?

Jeanne Mitchell
Austin, TX