From:
Elisa Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 08:10:03 -0400
On Tuesday 20 May 2003 00:03 am, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>   Hi, we have been doing hearing screens on babies for about a year
> now and I try to get the babies after they have fed well and are
> quiet, sometimes they will suck on their hands or thumb during the
> test or sometimes I use a gloved finger for them to suck on so I can
> get the test completed. It takes a little practice to manuever this
> and work the machine but it can be done. In our state they are
> required by law but now I've also heard that some kids can pass the
> test yet have hearing problems later on-go figure.

I would venture that at  least some of the cases where the babies passed
the initial screen and then showed signs of hearing problems later had
problems with chronic ear infections.  I wonder if anyone tracks data on
the babies that passed initially but did have hearing problems later on
looking at their medical history, family history, demographics, and
other features to see if there is a pattern.  Some of the cases are also
likely related to testing technique and/or interpretation.  No test is
100% accurate

--
Elisa H. Casey, RN BSN