From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:43:50 -0700
I was thrilled to hear about the 14 yo mom who was doing a good job
breastfeeding.  I think teens are less likely to find any support for
breastfeeding, partly because people assume that they won't be able to do
it.  I once worked with a mom who was preparing to nurse an adopted baby.
Seven years earlier, she had given birth to her only bio baby, at age 16.  I
asked her if she had nursed that time.  She said she very much regretted
that she hadn't, but that she had been told by her mother and others that
breastfeeding would be too difficult for her, and pretty much bamboozled
into bottle feeding, whether she liked it or not.  I suspect that has
happened alot.

I remember an article a decade or so ago, written by a former breastfeeding
teen mom.   She described how breastfeeding had not just provided her baby
with nutrition and health benefits, but had helped her learn to be a mother.
  She point our how it did this, by requiring her to be with her baby
whenever she wasn't in school, keeping her baby firmly attached to her,
specifically, and giving her the confidence that she was capable of giving
her baby what she needed, where no one else could.  She spoke of knowing
other teen moms whose babies had become more attached to their own mothers,
with bottles, and who had not been able to resist the temptation to go out
with their friends.  She also told how the frequent illnesses of her
friends' babies had resulted in sleepless nights, and difficulty staying
awake in school, and even resentment towards the babies.  Actually, that
article did alot to further my appreciation of just how much breastfeeding
does teach us how to be good mothers to our children, whatever our ages and
previous experience might be.

I also remember a TV show I saw, about an interracial couple who were
mentally handicapped.  They were considered to have minimal retardation
(sorry if that is the wrong terminology), and were under some supervision,
but actually pretty capable.  They gave birth to a beautiful little boy,
whom I was especially impressed with because he looked so much like my
biracial son, Thomas.  I was thrilled for this couple, who were elated with
their baby.  I was not thrilled, however, when I saw social workers telling
then to feed their baby bottles on a four hour schedule.  I would almost be
willing to bet that these parents, not being as hampered by modern western
"intelligience" would have done a very good job with breastfeeding.
Certainly their baby, considered high risk for less than average
intelligience, had a special need for the brain benefits of breast milk.

In nursing my six adopted children, I saw many different benefits.  One that
I especially appreciated was the fact that, when I was nursing, I knew that
I was doing the best thing I possibly could for them.  That is a benefit
that is not often pointed out, but should be, especially for mothers who are
not in the best possible situation for having alot of confidence in their
mothering abilities.  I just wish their was something I had that I knew was
the best for teenagers.  Especially with Thomas, who is now 14 and weaned
exactly a decade ago, I almost never know for sure if I am doing the right
thing!

Darillyn