From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:33:30 -0700
Jane, et al--
This is an area of great frustration for me. I've purchased a glass
flange, but it is HUGE.  I've had mothers who were pinched by the normal
flange and definitely needed a larger size, but the glass flange was way
too large.  I believe strongly that there is a need for an "intermediate"
size, a little larger than the normal.  Supposedly this is not
cost-effective for the manufacturers, but if you have even one mom who
needs it, you can feel very desperate about this deficit in your ability
to help, as many moms don't want to learn how to hand express, or feel
inept at that moment of crisis.  I'm waiting for a brave pump company to
take the plunge and provide us with what we need--- a larger, but not
huge, flange for those mothers who are definitely out there.

While I'm at it---- I'm also frustrated at the moms I've seen who have
firm, upright breasts (often Asian) who don't pump easily.  We need to
find an answer for them, too.

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC