Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:23:12 EDT
Pat Young writes:

<< Soy formula is a different pep than soy "milks" bought in a
 grocery store.  These soy milks are deficient in some critical vitamins and
 oils.  >>

This raises a question I have wondered about for a while.  I know several
mothers who saw some sensitivity in their babies, in the postpartum period,
to cows milk in mom's diet.   These moms, all employed, have been pumping for
work-hours supplementation, and their babies -- all in Yemima's cohort :) --
are all just past or approaching their first birthdays.   The moms are
getting very tired of pumping, and are aware that if the babes were on
formula they would be getting ready to switch them over to whole cows milk.

Now some are thinking of weaning, some not, but all are wondering whether,
for the supp's the babies receive from child care folks during the day, they
need to keep pumping (ugh)? or can switch experimentally to whole cows milk?
or is soy "milk" beverage for adults an appropriate daytime supplementary
beverage for a partially-bf, solids-eating toddler?  Or should they just
count on evening and early a.m. for milk-related nutrients and tell the
childcare providers to put water in the comfort bottle for daytime??

I have been asked this question three times in the last six weeks, and have
no good info with which to answer it; so both data and opinions are welcome.
(preferably distinguished from each other :>)

Elisheva Urbas, NYC
whose formerly cows-milk intolerant infant is now a pizza-gobbling one year
old