From:
"Dawn K. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:24:04 -0600
Jennifer,
Those "red" preemie nipples are much FASTER flow!!!

But I think you're on the right track, look for some slower flow nipples
(Avent makes one as well as Gerber and Playtex I think -- all with wide
bases).  When a similar scenario happened with my latest foster baby the
Milk Bank offered us "low dairy" milk, which seemed to help some also.  Also
keeping him as upright as comfortable during feeds.  We also found burping
every 1/2 oz was useful (he's 2 1/2 months and burps after every Ounce and a
half now).   And he doesn't burp easily, so sometimes he cries for a few
minutes until we hear that very big for such a little guy belch.

This also may be a case of appropriate pacifier use.  After trying 6-8
brands we found one that worked for our foster baby (he was a little preemie
and most made him gag).  He wanted to suck, so he would suck on the bottle,
but was then required to get milk, for which there was no room in his tummy.
Pretty soon there was more room again ;-))  I think, as pointed out in
earlier discussions, if the nursing is going well, a temporary comfort
measure may be in order.  I'd ask the mother how she felt about this first
though.

Good Luck,
This mom is awfully lucky to have you helping her!
Dawn Martin
IBCLC, RLC
Doula
MOM